This is an easy alternative to Clam Chowder that tastes as good as the original. Instead of potatoes we use a low card alternative like celery root or cauliflower, or they can be omitted completely. It’s creamy with just a hint of spice to warm you up on a cold day.
Keto Clam Chowder
- 4 pieces Bacon Preferably thick cut bacon
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Chopped onion
- 1 tsp Minced garlic
- 1.5 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 3 cups Celery root (OPTIONAL) Peeled and chopped – or use Cauliflower (or even skip it altogether)
- 1 cup Clam juice 8 oz bottle
- 1-1/2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning To taste – Bloody Mary seasoning is also really good here, as is Old Bay.
Cheese and clams
- 1 lb Raw chopped clams
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese
- Chopped Parsley for garnish
- Cook the bacon in a large sauce pan over medium heat until done but not crispy
- Remove bacon from pan, chop and hold for later
- Add the Veggies (onion, garlic, etc) and sauté until onions are translucent
- Add the Liquids and simmer until the celery root is tender, or about 15 minutes
- Add the cheese and clams, and stir until the mascarpone has melted and the broth is creamy
- Simmer uncovered for 3 minutes or until the clams are just cooked through. Do not boil.
- Add the garnish and chopped bacon and serve.