Yes, you read that right – This is a twist on the standard Bloody Mary made with real Eastern NC BBQ Sauce.
Before you call me insane, give me a second. OK, I’ll admit to being a bit crazy, but this works if you think about it. Eastern NC BBQ Sauce is a rather thin vinegar based sauce with red pepper and other spices – Bloody Marys generally contain a light vinegar, hot sauce and other spices. It’s kind of the perfect marriage when you think about it.
I’m still perfecting this one – I like a little more Worchestershire sauce, and I really like the added pickle juice. This is really a base, and you can build on it to take you wherever you want to go!
Eastern NC BBQ Bloody Mary
- 1 1/2 Cups Tomato Juice or Clamato
- 1/8 Cup Eastern NC BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp Grated Horseradish jar is fine
- 1/2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Celery Salt Alternatives below
- 2-4 oz Vodka Optional – I prefer Russian Standard
- Mix all ingredients together and pour over ice, Omit vodka for a Virgin Bloody Mary
- Optionally, rim the glass with salt, Celery Salt, Old Bay, Tajin, or your favorite BBQ rub
- If at all possible, let rest for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator, to allow the flavors to meld.