Eastern NC BBQ Sauce is an apple cider vinegar based sauce. As a result, it’s tangy and spicy, but with the right mix, a little sweetness as well. I actually left my recipe at home, so this is really a rough draft from my memory, but we’ll know soon enough on Saturday!
Eastern North Carolina BBQ Sauce
- (1) 1 gallon jug
- 1/2 Cup Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2 Cups Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Hot Pepper Sauce Preferably Texas Pete
- 1 Gallon Apple Cider Vinegar This is more than is needed, so just fill 'er up
- In a 1 gallon jug, combine all the ingredients, and fill the jug with the apple cider vinegar. Place in the refrigerator and let rest at least 1 day, to let the flavors meld.