An easy “steamed” artichoke recipe for my friend George.
An easy "steamed" artichoke recipe
- 3 Artichokes
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2-4 cups Water (as required)
- 1/2 Small Onion
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- Salt (To taste)
- Pepper (To taste)
- 1 tsp Cajun Seasoning (Optional)
- 1/4 tsp Dill(optional)
Preparation – Clean the Artichokes
- Remove the stem and small bottom leaves.
- Slice the artichoke in half (vertically).
- With a spoon, scoop out the choke (the feathery stuff in the bottom), and the purple leaves
- Place open side up in the pot and sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Add 1-2 inches of water – enough to almost float the artichokes, but not cover them. Add the lemon juice, red wine, garlic, onion, salt and pepper to the pot
- Add any optional ingredients (I used dill, cajun seasoning, lemon, and leeks)
- Bring the pot to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes
- Remove from pot and let air dry.
- They're good as is, but you can make dips that go well
- If you want to balance out the health benefits, you can mix equal parts melted butter and lemon juice together with a pinch of salt. This is my favorite but it's definitely not good for you.